Saturday, August 23, 2008

okay already!

Here is the update from the north.

Today we went to a cool mexican restaurant for what Scott calls a "light snack."
It was so good, I ate too much and barfed on the way home.
Before that we went to see Brideshead Revisited in Arlington. They have rejuvenated the
village there so it is a plaza with fountains, and the theatre has been refurbished. The movie was fantabulous. Lots of Yorkshire scenes, lovely costumes, some steamy scenes and plenty of plot to discuss at our light snack.
We ate my famous chicken curry for late lunch/early dinner -- I got sidetracked by the Biden/Obama speeches so I nearly burned the whole pot....we salvaged it.
We painted and finished putting up the rest of the border in the guest room/my dressing room - but we didn't have enough border to do the whole room. Tomorrow I will go through clothes and organize so I have a great place to get dressed.
I played a ton of literati and watched lots of food tv and political stuff all morning.
last night we went to a neighborhood place for Italian food then went down to the river to see what was up-- strangely, in a place that has nothing, on the far side was a blinking light up Christmas tree. Weird.
We tried to go through from Rt. 3 to Rt. 17 on what we thought was a completed new road, but it doesn't go all the way through. We did get to see the beginnings of the slavery museum, which has a "Freedom Garden." Looked interesting.

Other stuff: New movie previews were good - a movie called "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is coming out and I want to see it. Another one, too, but as usual I forgot the whole preview immediately.

Tomorrow is Scott's birthday (41) but more importantly (j/k) it is the laaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssttttt day of my summer vacay. ShitPissFuckMotherFucker. Work starts Monday morning at 8 with marathon meetings and fake "How was your summer?" questions and updates and a ton of bullshit. As you can see, I have had a nice break and am rejuvenated and ready to hit the classroom with renewed vigor and enthusiasm. Parents better not give me crap about the supply list. Buy the damn notebook and gluesticks and shut up. I bought a ton of them myself already. So, I will mourn the loss of the endless hours of loafing on the sofa with the laptop, my book and the court TV stuff. And the relaxing hours on the new porch and new sofa out there just listening to bugs and cats and dogs. And of course the pajama wearing days -

Funny thing Jamie said to me one day when he was here: It was nearly 4, and I stretched and said, "well, I think I'll take a shower and put on my jammies." He said, "But, you're in your jammies already!" Damn kids. Don't they know the difference between daytime and nightime jammies?

No comments: