Thursday, August 28, 2008

We've had 4 1/2 inches of rain in the past 24 hours!!!! YIPPEE!!!!! Hope it continues!


I looked forward to Joe Biden's speech for 5 days and wouldn't ya know? I fell asleep. Thank goodness for TIVO! Got up at 4:30 AM and was able to see it - excellent. I was hoping he would come on stronger - you know - slash and burn Bush/Cheney/McPain. I was awake for Bill Clinton's and thought he did a magnificent job - but didn't expect any less from him inspite of what the pundits were saying. I think Biden's family was lovely - his old Mom is darling and sounds like she is full of spunk. I was terribly inpressed with Dennis Kucinich's speech - he is a little firebrand. I took a survey about political viewpoints several months ago and I came out to the left of Kucinich (no wonder I loved his speech). The older I get, the more liberal I get. Decriminalize MaryJane, etc., etc. No constitutional amendments regarding marriage, etc., etc. In fact, I have felt for 8 years that I wouldn't trust GWB to meddle with the constitution at all. Another good speech was Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana) - a most unprepossessing looking man, speaking simply in a folksy way, but oh, my, what powerful words. I heard both those speeches "live", replayed them both the following morning, and then played them again for Dad! And, of course, kudos to Hillary - she is one brave lady, gave a wonderful speech, and broke the glass ceiling. I hope she is offered something "big" like SofS, Supreme Court - but, on the other hand, with her credentials she could have a long and wonderful career in the Senate. She will certainly be an asset in the Senate to Obama getting things passed.


A funny moment from one of the debates - the candidates were asked to name one thing about the person on their left that they liked - Joe Biden turned to Dennis Kucinich on his left and said he liked his (Dennis') wife. If you have never seen her - she is about a foot taller than Dennis, long gorgeous red hair, and extremely pretty.


I am expecting a delivery from Move.On.org of 45 Obama buttons - place your order here folks and I'll mail them off to you. Have Obama/Biden bumper stickers and buttons coming also - but only 2 of each for my use.


It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know that in my large extended family we only have 2 Republicans left. I think of my Dad often and wonder if he would still be a die-hard Republican. Even in Nixon's dark days he defended him (Nixon) but he died before Nixon resigned. My Mom always voted, in fact, she always worked at the polling place, but I can't recall her ever discussing politics. I always assumed she followed my Dad's lead and voted Republican, but I do recall that she had high praise for Harry Truman. And, ya know - Joe Biden kind of reminds me of HST. Blunt, honest, telling it like it is.


No comments: