Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hi Catherine - good to see you here posting. How's your Dad doing? I think of him frequently. And, good going with the college work! Sounds like Dean's List to me.

Your job reminds me of one I had years ago - for a temp agency. They gave me nothing to do, just answer the phone, which never rang. I felt very guilty sitting there, but finally brought a book with me and spent my time reading. Nobody minded.

We had a great Mother's Day weekend. Cruised through Green Front looking for a chair for Dad - all ugly and over-priced. From there we went to the nursery and I had a blast - THANK YOU girls! Dinner followed at Ruby Tuesday's - not the greatest. Sunday found me planting - got the hanging baskets done - very pretty. Jane was hustling around the kitchen, and Nancy relaxing on sofa. After dinner they all headed home - they left early to beat the rain storm, but got wet anyway.

I have been in the garden much of the time and have everything planted now, except for one Virginia spiderwort. Will do that today, along with transplanting some stuff. Wish you girls lived nearby as I have lots of volunteers I could give you.

I finished reading Twilight at Monticello" which I thought was pretty good. I have a soft spot for that author - Allan Pell Crawford - as I met him at a book signing for Unwise Passions and we had a lovely conversation about the research he did here locally. Anyhow, his latest, about Thomas Jefferson's final years I found interesting - dry and uneven in spots, yet enough gossipy tidbits to hold my interest. After I finished the book I read the reviews of it on Amazon.com and was totally shocked at how bad they were. I will loan this book to my History teacher - that's you Ellen - and get her opinion. I had no idea that Jefferson was so heavily in debt and found some of the details of his family life shocking. I know that when the Capitol burned destroying all it's books with it, Jefferson offered his as a replacement. What I didn't know was that he sold his books, and made quite a handsome profit.

Little Fritz had his annual checkup yesterday and he was very uncooperative. In fact, he even had to be muzzled. Poor little guy was terrified. He left his "calling card" on the exam table, the floor, the vet, the vet tech, and Dad! LOL. It's so sad to see him "waltz" into the vet's, tail wagging happily, only to be terrorized by all the stuff done to him. He is now 13 pounds - 2 pound overweight - so he is on a little diet. I am supposed to brush his teeth daily - milk bones do NOT do the trick - so will attempt the first brushing today.

Love and kisses to all
Mom - now reading the latest Elizabeth George - "Careless in Red."

No comments: