Sunday, May 18, 2008

Yesterday I planted sixteen tomato plants! Dad had made me some raised beds for them, bought sacks of topsoil to fill them, along with compost/manure, and lime. I do love vine-ripened tomatoes, but when I consider the money spent I realize for much less we could keep ourselves supplied with tomatoes from the farmer's market all summer long. Of course, in years to come, it will cost a lot less to grow our little crop. I always thought working in raised beds would be easier on my back, it didn't prove to be so. By the time I worked all the good stuff into the soil and planted I could hardly straighten up and stagger back to the house. Did I mention that I had to make little collars - sixteen of them - to protect from cutworms? Not to mention buckets of water and miracle grow!

I have been pondering this question all week and if anyone can give me the answer I would appreciate it: How did that black snake know there were baby birds/eggs in the dovecoat? After all, that dovecoat sits atop a 5 1/2 foot pole. It's not like he had a nearby perch to spy from or catch the scent from. I don't know if he got them or not - we have had birds in the dovecoat for years, but they are very quiet and the only time I am aware of them is when I am digging around that pole. So far, there are no signs of life.

Something else I wanted opinions on: are there newcasters/media personalities that you just can't stand? Tom Brokaw for one is highly overated in my opinion. If you listen carefully you realize that he had said practically nothing, while positioning himself as "the great pontificator." Walter Cronkite he ain't. I used to like Lou Dobbs, but I've come to realize he's somewhat of a broken record/crackpot and I haven't watched/listened to him in months. Joe Scarbrough is another one - that man can state the obvious over and over again in about 10,000 words or more - likes to hear himself talk. Besides he is so horribly rude to Mika B. that I really think he needs a good slap. I have never liked Katie Couric and so never watch her newscasts. Newscasts??? haha, our news shows are no longer news but entertainment. Oh yes, another one - Tucker Carlson - while he is kind of cute, he's terribly self-righteous. I cannot comment on Fox (faux) News - never view it.

I will talk about guilty pleasures in my next post - lol - but just let me say that I LOVED "Real Housewives of New York."

Happy Sunday - keep on truckin!

No comments: