Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jane got the years right. I well remember being at the Recovery Center with Dad, standing at the end of a long hall, when Jane and family emerged from the elevator. Bobby saw me there and came running to me and I will always remember the sight of this beautiful blond child in a blue romper and white shoes running towards me with a big smile. It was in March and Bobby had just learned to walk!

As thankful as I was that Dad was getting sober, I used to get very angry with him while he was in recovery. He would call me at work and demand that I bring him all sorts of things on my lunch hour. Upon arriving I would always find him laying on his bed, never had a thank you for bringing the stuff, and, in fact, was usually mean to me. I would think how nice it would be to lounge around in bed and have someone bring me stuff. Guess I was pretty self-centered then, but I was recovering myself from years of being co-alcholic.

Well, it's been a long time sober now - and Ellen is correct in thinking Dad wouldn't be here with us if he were still drinking. Thank God for miracles!

More garden work today - hope it's not too windy - supposed to be in the 70's.

No comments: