Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hola

Well, its a windy day here. Actually a wind advisory in effect. I hope it blows the rest of my leaves to my neighbors' yards. Ha!

The porch guy came to finalize stuff, and its a long story, but we can't get a fence out of the deal, but supposedly, we can get a counter top. I don't believe it, but just in case, we picked out this:





I like others, but this is one of the only ones we could agree on. We need a new faucet, and perhaps a new sink, too, so we looked at those. Lowe's was empty at 9 last night, so we had the run of the place. I could spend thousands there. I want all new doorknobs and light fixtures! But, our goals for the year are porch, counters, landscaping and painting, so we'll stick with those.

My students are taking a test today, and I hope they studied. I have a feeling that they didn't. Oh, well. I gave them TWO study guides with basically all the answers. We never had those when I was a kid. We played a cool jeopardy game (its on a power point and easy to make Catherine, and would a good thing to add to your bag of tricks, if you teach in schools that can project the computer screen, or display on a TV) to review as well. And, its on the culture of the 20's and 30's which is fun and interesting, and I played them tons of music (Gershwin, Ellington, Armstrong, et al) and even showed them clips from The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath - which the other teachers didn't do. But it all comes down to today's test. If they don't do well, it will be hard for me to pull out all the stops on the next unit - World War II.

Anyone know a WW2 vet still living who would come to my school?

Have a nice day everyone! Oh, if I'm needed (or maybe even if I'm not) I'll go to Charlottesville to help Bobby and see our girl Jaida. I hope we can rally around and protect her from more harm. Kaiti was the same age in my divorce...and well, anyway, we love her and Bobby and we'll all be there.

No comments: